The current Key message from Northumbria Police.
· Police are carrying out operations in every area of the force to tackle doorstep crime.
· People can help themselves stay safe by following simple crime prevention advice.
Crime prevention advice -
· Keep front and back doors locked (with keys taken out), even when at home.
· Look through a spy hole or window to identify the caller.
· Put the door chain or door bar on first before opening the door, and keep it on while talking to the caller.
· Check their identity card carefully even if the caller has prearranged appointment. Close the door while you do this.
· Don’t let visitors who are in a hurry, pressurise or confuse you - ask them to wait outside while you confirm who they are, genuine visitors won’t mind waiting.
· If you need to leave a caller standing outside while you collect or check something indoors, close the door and lock it.
· Never use a telephone number given by the caller – find the number in your telephone directory.
· If you are not comfortable ask the caller to return when someone is with you.
· Never buy goods or services from people calling unexpectedly or unannounced at your door.
· If the caller is selling something or offering work on your house or garden tell them that you are not interested and ask them to leave.
· If they do not leave tell them you will call the police.
· If in doubt - keep them out.
You can contact our Local Neighbourhood Policing Team on
03456 043 043 ext 69191. In an emergency call 999.
The team's email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
The team is based at Prudhoe Police Station, Front Street, Prudhoe, NE42 5HN and is open from 8am until midnight.